Want to get involved in History & Fun?
If you're interested in keeping the history of London & Middlesex County alive, Donate Today!
Becoming a Fanshawe Pioneer Village Volunteer
Volunteering at Fanshawe Pioneer Village offers you the opportunity to learn new skills and meet great people while supporting the museum's mission to preserve, promote and authentically recreate the rural history of London & Middlesex County.
Volunteers have an opportunity to:
- Share a passion for or learn new skills related to a historic
trade or craft
- Wear a period costume, work in a historic building or garden, or run a craft/activity at special events
- Learn and experience local Canadian history in a peaceful setting surrounded by nineteenth century buildings and artifacts
- Gain experience working with the public in a museum setting
- Earn hours towards the requirements for high school community volunteer experience
- Receive a 10% discount off all items for sale in the Denfield General Store and the Cafe
- Receive a reciprocal pass (free or reduced admission) to many Ontario museums and attractions
- Meet new people who share an interest in history or crafts
Volunteers are provided with:
- An orientation to the village and its operations
- A volunteer placement compatible with their expressed interests and Fanshawe Pioneer Village’s needs
- Ongoing training in their placement under the supervision of trained staff
- A period costume for the duration of the volunteer placement, if required
Volunteers are required to:
- Attend an orientation session
- Provide a Police Records and Vulnerable Position Screening check
- Agree to complete the training program required by the job assignment
- Work cooperatively with Fanshawe Pioneer Village Museum staff members and other volunteers
- Provide their own approved footwear
Join us as a Youth Interpreter! This is a fun and interesting way to complete your Community Volunteer hours. This program is offered to youths aged 16 and older. As a Youth Interpreter you will wear a time appropriate costume provided by the Village, develop your public speaking skills, learn new crafts and trades, gain work experience and make new friends.
Application Process for Volunteers
Application: Interested applicants must complete a Fanshawe Pioneer Village Volunteer Application form (available from Fanshawe Pioneer Village or online at www.fanshawepioneervillage.ca.
Interview: Please note that volunteer opportunities are subject to museum needs which vary from time to time. You will be contacted to discuss the fit with your application and our current volunteer needs. If there is a good fit, then an interview will be scheduled with the Site & Programming Coordinator and/or the Supervisor of the Volunteer Position that you are interested in.
Reference Checks: At the interview you will be requested to provide three reference checks, one of which should be from a former employer or volunteer supervisor.
Decision: You will be informed within two weeks of your interview if we are able to offer you a placement within the Volunteer Program at Fanshawe Pioneer Village.
Police Records Check: Fanshawe Pioneer Village is committed to creating a safe and secure environment for everyone involved in our organization. We adhere to standards of protection for all visitors, volunteers and staff members. Screening staff and volunteers is an important part of this commitment and a police record check is part of the screening process.
If a volunteer position is offered to you, you will first need to obtain a police records check prior to beginning your placement. Placement in the position will begin upon the confirmation of a satisfactory police records check.
Training/Orientation: As a volunteer at Fanshawe Pioneer Village you will receive support and training related to your position in the museum. As part of your orientation you will receive information on the history, mission and structure of the museum as well as an opportunity to review the various volunteer position descriptions and get answers to any additional questions you may have.
Become a Member
Help support the ongoing operation of the Fanshawe Pioneer Village by purchasing your annual Membership.
Your membership benefits include:
- Membership card for unlimited admission to the Village during the regular season from Victoria Day Weekend to Thanksgiving Day.
- Admission to our Special Event Weekends (ticketed events excluded)
- Subscription to our quarterly newsletter, “The Villager”